Plans, directs, manages, and controls the functions and activities of the department to provide expert program and project management execution, consulting and mentoring enterprise wide.
- Develops or leads others who develop program/project plans and schedules with cost estimates, and the strategies and tactics to meet them (including work breakdown structures, schedules, budgets, responsibility matrices, and communication and risk management plans). Coaches program/project directors/managers and teams to ensure their success. Identifies and augments weaknesses of existing program/project managers/directors and their teams when needed. Solves problems and leads program/project managers/directors and team members to achieve program/project goals. Achieves early-identification of potential problem areas. Arranges and conducts consulting and mentoring to reinforce and improve the execution of program/project management approaches or standards. Ensures that program/project managers/directors and their team members have the resources, information and direction necessary to successfully perform their jobs. Prepares and presents program/project progress, reviews and cost reports as required. Updates enterprise program/project management standards and ensures that specific Subject Matter Expert issues are incorporated.
- Provides indirect oversight and assistance to programs/projects not directly managed by the department. Consolidates status and assessments for tracking and reporting purposes. Identifies opportunities to leverage common resources and to avoid inter-project resource or dependency conflicts. Escalates issues requiring executive attention as appropriate to ensure the success of programs/projects.
- Performs program/project technical reviews/audits to ensure compliance with standards, company policies and SOX/regulatory requirements, and alignment with program/project plans or specifications; prepares reports of findings.
- Performs high-level governance/portfolio functions such as:
- Serving as a member of the support team for a governance entity and its facilitator.
- Reviewing and providing feedback on documentation of proposed projects.
- Monitoring status and progress of one or more portfolios of projects.
- Builds effective partnerships with executives and managers throughout the Company (Hawaiian Electric Company) and its subsidiaries (Hawai‘i Electric Light Company and Maui Electric Company). Learns the capabilities, challenges and goals of client organizations and incorporates those into effective project management initiatives.
- Participates as a subject matter expert in program/project management and organizational change management in order to identify enterprise wide challenges and opportunities. Designs and implements necessary interventions.
- Recommends and assists in the selection of cross-functional/functional program/project teams. Provides performance feedback to program/project managers/directors and team members.
- Subject matter expertise in the execution of programs/projects in either:
- engineering and construction practices in the utility transmission, distribution, and/or generation fields; normally acquired through college-level courses or equivalent experience.
- principles and theories of Telecommunications, Operational Technology, and/or Information Technology (including infrastructure/communications, operations, application development, production support, and service desk technologies); normally acquired through college-level courses or equivalent experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of supervision and change management, normally acquired through related training, and/or several years' experience in supervising people directly or in a cross-functional/matrix organization.
- Thorough knowledge of project management standards and methodologies, including initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing projects, developing work breakdown structures, tracking progress and status, managing scope, mitigating risk, etc.
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements (i.e., SOX, PUC, Permitting, etc.) highly desired.
- Working knowledge of technology automation (i.e., personal computers and/or mainframe systems) and related software applications such as: project management tools (e.g., ServiceNow, Microsoft Project), collaboration tools (e.g., SharePoint), spreadsheets, word processing, business intelligence (e.g., Power BI), databases, etc.
- Provide input for all related program/project managers as it relates to performance of projects– per various represented unit areas.
- Provide expert mentorship role for other Program/Project Managers enterprise wide (matrix).
- Demonstrated supervisory/leadership skills including team leadership, effective written, oral and listening communications skills and interpersonal skills, in order to work effectively with all levels of the company and with outside contractors and consultants.
- Ability to conceptualize new ideas quickly. Ability to remain flexible in a demanding work environment and adapt to rapidly changing priorities. Ability to determine the root causes of issues and problems and quickly develop solutions to resolve them.
- Ability to build and align cross-functional teams in a matrix organization via collaboration.
- Ability to develop, lead and mentor others through acquisition of new skills in the program/project management discipline and sharing these skills with others on a periodic basis.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to multi-task, process and follow-up systematically.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills for such tasks as preparing and monitoring program/project requirements, resolving cost and time constraints, and conflicting priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills to influence, motivate, and persuade various groups or individuals. Ability to handle difficult and/or sensitive issues while using tact, courtesy and discretion.
- Extensive (8+) years experience of managing projects in the subject matter expert areas mentioned above, including at least 6 years experience as lead project manager.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (computer science, engineering or project management) or equivalent.
- Experience with the regulatory, social, public affairs (neighborhood boards, community groups, government agencies, political leaders, media, etc.) review processes is desirable.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification or equivalent is required.
- Program Management Professional (PgMP) Certification or equivalent is highly desired.
- Registered in Hawaii as a Prof. Engineer or certified as a Planner by a nationally recognized professional society such as the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is desired.
To apply for this job or to explore other employment opportunities, please visit us at hawaiianelectric.com/careers.
Hawaiian Electric Companies is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. We actively seek diversity among our employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity/expression), ancestry/national origin, disability, marital status, arrest and court record, sexual orientation, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, or other protected categories in accordance with state and federal laws. We further encourage individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply.
Hawaiian Electric Companies complies with Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Any request for reasonable accommodation needed during the application process should be communicated by the candidate to the HR Service Center at (808) 543-4848.