VANGUARD CENTER OF HPC SYSTEMS & NETWORK ENGINEER – ID# 221133.
Vanguard Center of High Performance Computing. Regular, Full-Time, RCUH Non-Civil Service position with the Maui High Performance Computing Center (MHPCC), Department of Defense High Performance Computing Modernization Program’s “Vanguard Center for High Performance Computing”, located at the Maui Research and Technology Park (MRTP) in Maui, Hawai‘i. This position will conduct research under the University of Hawai‘i Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) Task Orders. Continuation of employment is dependent upon program/operational needs, satisfactory work performance, availability of funds, and compliance with applicable Federal/State laws.
MONTHLY SALARY: Salary commensurate with qualifications.
- Provides intermediate level systems programming and networking support for a large scale, high performance computing complex at the Vanguard Center for High Performance Computing (VCHPC).
- Responsibilities include the administration and maintenance of scalable high performance supercomputing configurations as well as other UNIX based systems and peripherals.
- Provides technical support and maintenance of local and wide area network services.
- Installs and configures various networking services, hardware components and associated software.
- Participates in network and system design, network and system performance analyses, procedural documentation, problem resolution and network and system security initiatives.
- Supports staff in the development of system management tools and architectural assessments.
- Works with other VCHPC departmental entities to provide a comprehensive support infrastructure for a wide range of Department of Defense (DoD) and other Government customers.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university in a related technical, scientific, or engineering discipline.
- Three to five (3-5) years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- General understanding of computer and network configurations.
- Knowledge of high-speed network interfaces, UNIX network and system facilities, and fundamental aspects of network management.
- Knowledge of high performance networking architectures and protocols such as Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) and Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)), evolving network standards, and high speed network interfaces such as 10GigE and Infiniband.
- Knowledge of advanced network management mechanisms, strategies, and tools such as Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) based monitoring packages.
- Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in a UNIX environment in addition to Domain Name System (DNS), SNMP, BGP, OSPF, etc.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Applicants selected will be subject to a Government Investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Ability to work under pressure with multiple projects and deadlines.
- Skills in the installation and the configuration of operating systems and application software.
- Installs servers and network devices.
- Ability to monitor system usage and performance statistics and to understand the impacts of operating system tuning parameters.
- Ability to understand and follow established methods and procedures for the installation of system modifications.
- Ability to develop and/or debug software using scripted or compiled languages such as C, C++, csh, Awk, Perl, etc.
- Ability to understand evolving network technologies and to predict potential impacts on operational capabilities.
- Ability to resolve routing problems in a multiple vendor, multiple customer environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Post Offer/Employment Conditions: Ability to obtain an interim secret clearance within sixty (60) days of hire and must be able to obtain a final secret clearance with SSBI (Single Scope Background Investigation) within six (6) months of date of hire. Must also meet DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement requirements.
- Ability to lift and carry up to thirty (30) pounds unassisted and work in temperatures of between sixty to seventy (60-70) degrees Fahrenheit.
POLICY AND/OR REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS: As a condition of employment, employee will be subject to all applicable RCUH policies and procedures and, as applicable, subject to University of Hawai‘i's and/or business entity's policies and procedures. Violation of RCUH's, UH's, or business entity's policies and/or procedures or applicable State or Federal laws and/or regulations may lead to disciplinary action (including, but not limited to possible termination of employment, personal fines, civil and/or criminal penalties, etc.).
- Experience working with UNIX/Linux clusters, DNS, NIS, UNIX/Linux email servers, Encryption Devices, Cisco or Juniper products and MPI.
INQUIRIES: Lance Terada 874-1690 (Maui).
Please apply directly on the RCUH website to be considered for the position.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Please go to www.rcuh.com and click on “Job Postings.” You must submit the following documents online to be considered for the position: 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume, 3) Supervisory References, 4) Copy of Degree(s)/Transcript(s)/Certificate(s). All online applications must be submitted/received by the closing date (11:59 P.M. Hawai‘i Standard Time/RCUH receipt time) as stated on the job posting. If you do not have access to our system and the closing date is imminent, you may send additional documents to email@example.com. If you have questions on the application process and/or need assistance, please call (808)956-7262 or (808)956-0872.
CLOSING DATE: April 6, 2021.
RCUH’s mission is to support and enhance research, development and training in Hawai‘i, with a focus on the University of Hawai‘i.
Equal Opportunities Employer – Minorities/Women/Disability/Veteran.