Under the broad direction of the Board of Directors, the Chief Staff Executive is the chief staff officer who has overall responsibility for the management of the Association. The Chief Staff Executive recommends and participates in the formulation of new policies and makes decisions within existing policies as they have been approved by the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors. The Chief Staff Executive plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates the staff, programs, and activities of the Association to ensure that objectives are attained, plans fulfilled, and member needs met. The Chief Staff Executive maintains effective internal and external relationships. Through management and leadership, the Chief Staff Executive achieves economical, productive performance, future programming, and constructive growth of the Association.
Strategy and Governance
- Serving as an ex officio, non-voting member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
- Planning, formulating, and recommending for approval by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors general and administrative policies, procedures, and programs and implementing said documents following approval.
- Executing all decisions of the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors and delegating implementation when appropriate.
- Serving as staff liaison to all committees and assigning other committee and board liaisons as necessary and appropriate.
Management & Operations
- Managing and administering, on a day-to-day basis, the operations and general affairs of the Association, pursuant to its Bylaws and policies of the Board; approving expenditures within the limits of the Board–approved budget.
- Hiring, managing, directing, and evaluating the RAM professional staff to accomplish the strategic goals and objectives in each of their respective areas; assisting the staff in establishing annual goals and objectives; ensuring that goals and activities to support the Association’s current objectives are implemented; ensuring that functional initiatives are aligned with the strategic plan.
- Creating a culture among staff that encourages and sustains innovation, appropriate risk-taking, trust, and accountability; encouraging staff to seek new and creative ideas through education, research, and curiosity.
- Executing contracts and commitments as may be authorized by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors or established policies.
- In conjunction with the Executive Committee, developing, recommending, and operating within the annual budget. Ensuring that all funds, property, and physical assets of the Association are appropriately safeguarded and administered.
- Ensuring RAM’s fiscal health through prudent financial management of resources.
Legislation & Advocacy
- Representing and promoting the real estate industry before the media, legislative bodies, other local, regional, and national trade associations, and before the membership.
- In conjunction with staff and volunteers, craft the Association’s legislative messaging efforts and set legislative priorities.
- Representing RAM in front of legislative and regulatory bodies.
Membership & External Relations
- Directing the activities of the Association to serve the legislative, educational, and informational needs of RAM members.
- Overseeing the professional training, continuing education, and certification process.
- Cultivating and maintaining professional relationships and contacts with members, other associations, industry, government, public service organizations, other organizations, and vendors as are desirable or necessary in the best interest and position of the Association and in conformity with the overall objectives and policies of the organization to the greatest degree possible.
- Serving as the principal liaison to the Hawaii Association of REALTORS® and National Association of REALTORS®.
- Directing basic management and coordination of the affairs, programs, projects and activities of the Association in order to provide the proper level of member services.
- Promoting interest and active participation in the Association’s activities on the part of the membership and reporting on RAM activities through regular channels of communication.
- Planning and overseeing all communications to the general membership which includes newsletters, general mailings, news releases, etc.
- Carrying out other general responsibilities as may be delegated by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors.
- In coordination with the President and Board, serving as a spokesperson on behalf of RAM.
Education- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in an executive level role within a trade association.
Experience- Five or more years of management experience, preferably in a professional trade association or other nonprofit agency. Five or more years of experience directing total operations through community engagement, volunteer development, supervision of staff, development and monitoring of association budget, marketing and public relations.
All qualified candidates will be expected to embrace RAM’s and to present the following:
- Demonstrated success in a CEO or senior management position.
- Experience working with a nonprofit/association governing board to develop strategy and vision.
- Experience managing a revenue budget of at least $1 million.
- Ability to assemble and lead a management team that works as one to accomplish RAM’s vision and goals.
- Ability to function as a team player with other employees of the Association.
- Ability to travel for business.
The REALTORS® Association of Maui represents more than 1,500 real estate professionals involved in all aspects of the real estate industry. Established in 1969, RAM serves its members by providing programs and services to enhance their opportunity and ability to conduct business successfully, with integrity and competence. The Association advocates and promotes the preservation of the fundamental right to own, transfer, and use real property.
Candidates currently residing in Hawaii are strongly preferred.