Government Affairs Administrator
HONOLULU BOARD OF REALTORS
1136 12Th Ave Ste 200
Government Affairs Administrator
Responsible for ensuring effective representation of the Board’s interests at the local government level (city council and city administration) and provides staff support to the Honolulu Board of Realtors® (HBR) City Affairs Committee and related sub-committees. Works with Director of Programs and CEO to shape public policy and advocacy strategies and activities.
- Works with City Affairs Committee (CAC) to set city legislative agenda, public policy priorities, strategies and action plan based on HBR’s Mission and Ends policies; submits recommendations to Director of Programs for approval by CEO and Board of Directors, as appropriate; implements the strategies and action plans as approved, ensuring alignment with HBR goals.
- Provides administrative support to CAC in conducting their meetings, includes meeting notices, setup, minutes, and other follow-up as needed.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with members of the City Council, their staff, key policy officials and government departments/agencies on behalf of the HBR. Ensures that HBR is involved, engaged, and at the table with all relevant decision makers, utilizing CEO, Board of Directors, CAC committee, and HBR members who have the relationships or are in-the-know.
- Prepares written and oral testimonies, with assistance from HBR Communication Firm, as needed, providing key issues and main points to be incorporated into the testimony. May be asked to testify on specific issues on behalf of HBR.
- Effectively utilize national, state and local resources to achieve HBR’s goals, including preparing REALTOR® Party grant applications in conjunction with planned HBR activities.
- Coordinate HBR coalition partnership building and HBR alliances with other trade associations, interest groups and community and corporate entities on issues of common concern in consultation with Director of Programs and CEO.
- Monitor city legislative, regulatory and related activities, which affect the Board and the real estate industry and keep the CAC Chair/Vice Chair, Director of Programs and CEO informed. Forward relevant issues to appropriate CAC sub-committee Chair(s) for action and provide staff input.
- Conduct research and prepare position papers to assist the City Affairs Committee and related sub-committees in evaluating and recommending policies.
- RPAC Campaign - Develop yearly schedule and plan to achieve set goals, provide organizational leadership, follow up, and coordination to ensure planned activities are implemented and successful.
- Call for Action (CFA) - Design and conduct CFA campaign as determined by CAC and approved by the Director of Programs and CEO, and work with members, and community when appropriate, to engage their active participation to achieve CFA goals.
- Lobbyist/Consultant – Responsible for monitoring work and ensuring deliverables are met by lobbyist/consultant, should HBR engage their services.
- Election Year Activities – Coordinate and provide educational opportunities for HBR members to learn about the candidates and campaign issues, including a Voter Guide and Candidate Forum(s); organize Voter Registration drives as needed; attend and coordinate HBR contributions for candidate fundraisers.
- Works with Director of Programs and CEO to ensure HBR is the leading advocate for real property and home ownership issues for Oahu, including affordable housing.
- Support HBR’s position on “Smart Growth” as a foundation to align public policy agenda and activities.
Other Duties as Assigned
SCOPE OF POSITION:
- Reports to Director of Programs
- Extensive contact with membership serving on Board Committee(s) and staff/volunteer Task Group(s), government agencies and community.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts & Sciences and/or Business or minimum 3 years-experience in program management
- Government affairs background preferred
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Collaborative team player
- Interactive, networking and building relationships
- Experience in writing policies, business correspondence, budgeting and planning
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Ability to make decisions requiring initiative and judgment.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Proficient in the use of PC, Microsoft Office programs, Internet and other office equipment.
- Physical demand: Ability to lift 20 lbs. and sit for long duration.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.